Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yayoi Kusama


Yayoi Kusama is a very prolific and famous female artist from Japan who lives and works both in New York City and Japan. She lived and worked in New York City during the time of big names as Andy Warhol, Yoko Ono, and Jasper Johns. Some how I have missed her during my studies of art at college...must have been doodling in my sketchbook the day she was mentioned. Since seeing her gorgeous light installation at the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Denmark I have been reading as much as I can about this talented artist.

What I have learned is she is equally talented as disturbed. She has suffered from mental illness her entire life. She lives in a mental institution by choice with a studio very near. She has even been quoted as saying "If it were not for art, I would have killed myself a long time ago." Hallucinations and her obsessive nature are very much depicted and present in her paintings, installations, sculptures, and conceptual pieces, which all share an obsession with pattern and repetition...especially of the polka dot, her signature.

I think her works are overwelming...her polka dot worlds bring you into her head, nearly make you sick and dizzy, but her light rooms bring you out into the universe or another world...really gorgeous.







What do you think?

Thanks Wiki and Google!

puss o kram
Kristina

No comments: