I'm a foodie, we already know this. Old news, who cares? Well I found this rather old list floating through the internet '100 Food's to Try before you Die' and of course was really curious as to how many I've tried. The average for Americans is 20, I've tried 65. I find the list not to be too adventurous and there are many questionable items such as Frito Pie (huh?) but it's fun anyhow.
I've crossed out the foods I've already tried, 65 total, go me! and I'd be happy to try many of the others on the list as well. I few are really high on my list of things I just must try, such as sea urchin. Just have to travel a bit more and keep my eyes peeled for these items at markets and on menus. There are a few that I will not try however (under no circumstances), but only 2-3 items make that list. Just 42 foods to go!
How many have you eaten?
1. Abalone I really want to try someday and geoduck too!
2. Absinthe Who cares?
8. Bellini Gonna have to go to Italy one day
9. Birds Nest Soup When will I ever try this? or afford to?
15. Carp Why not? just a fish, I'll have to go to Poland one day
18. Chicken & Waffles Why would I ever want this?
20. Chile Relleno I'll try it in Mexico one day
21. Chitlins I think I'll skip this one, not too fond of the poop shoot idea
26. Crickets Sure I'll try them
28. Dandelion Wine What's this?
30. Durian I've only tried in cookie form, so that doesn't count
36. Fried Catfish Sure
39. Frito Pie Why would I want to eat this?
40. Frogs' Legs Had the chance but wimped out, had snails though
41. Fugu Don't like the risk of dying, so I'll pass
49. Head Cheese looks kind of yummy, I like pate so I must like this.
52. Hostess Fruit Pie Gross!
53. Huevos Rancheros Whatever
55. Kangaroo Gonna have to go to Australia, I've had Ostrich though
57. Kobe Beef I wonder when I'll be able to afford trying this?
58. Lassi Not really fond of milky/yogurty drinks
63. Nettle Tea What's this?
65. Oxtail Soup Someday I'm sure
67. Paneer Forget what this is?
70. Phaal Next time I'm in London
77. Polenta I want to try soon, make a huge Italian dinner with a polenta side dish
79. Rabbit Stew Sure, someday
81. Root Beer Float I will absolutely never ever try this!!!
84. Sea Urchin I really really really want to try this soon!
85. Shark Sure
87. Snake Sure
89. Som Tam Seems yummy, must go to Thailand one day!
92. Squirrel When would I ever eat squirrel?
93. Steak Tartare I've only had this lightly seared, shall have to try all the way raw one day. Almost counts!
100. Zucchini Flowers How have I missed these? Maybe this summer filled with fresh cheese