Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How Do You Get Shit Done?



As I've mentioned about one million times before, one of the challenges of working for yourself is there isn't anyone to make sure that you're working hard and getting stuff done. So how do I do it?

Last week I shared my calendar/to do list which keeps my weeks organised. I know exactly what I have to get done each day or every week and I can check all my to dos as they get done. But how do I keep all my projects organised?



Along with my traditional to do list I like to keep a hand written project list as well (pictured above.) Once I get a project I add it to the list with a small description of the project, the price, note if paid or unpaid, and then I write the given deadline or come up with my own deadline of 2-3 weeks depending on the size of the project. Once completed I'll note the date finished so that I can move on to other projects. I think this is a really simple way of keeping track of all the custom work I have to complete and I've never forgotten a project. No need to over complicate things, this works just perfectly for me.

Because I have a very simple style and quick technique the majority of the projects I work on are really quick to complete too. This really helps me stay on track. These projects just take a matter of days to complete if I only worked on one project at a time. Because my turn around time is so quick I never really get bored or tired with a project. This helps me to stay motivated and keep working.

Many people complain of overloaded email accounts which distract them from getting other more important actual work done. I fortunately don't have this problem. I don't receive more emails than I can handle each day and can easily and quickly answer most of them within the same day. I have 0 new unread messages at this moment, and usually keep it that way.

How I get my projects done on good days and bad days:

• Somedays I just have tons of energy and can't get distracted by anything. I can get the majority of a weeks worth of work done in one day. This usually happens on Mondays because I feel bad for not working or have missed working since enjoying a free weekend.
• Other days I have no motivation and I seriously have to force myself to work. I'll make sure to at least check one thing off my list, and then take a break if I must to gather inspiration. Then I'll force myself to check another to do item off my list. It's okay if it's one of the more fun or easier tasks, just as long as something is getting done.
• And then other days just can't get myself to do anything. I'll have no energy, or my head will be in a million places and I can't concentrate on anything. I'll stare at a new white piece of paper for hours, not knowing where to start. I have no motivation and I can't get myself to get anything done, no matter what I try. These days, which don't happen very often, I'll just give up. I'll read, watch movies, go shopping, go for a walk, cook, or bake all day long. I don't get regular weekends, free evenings or holidays like everyone else with a regular job, so taking a free day every now and then isn't so bad. (I'm worth it.) I'll usually wake up the next morning ready to work!


2 comments:

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

same here there are days that i feel unmotivated...and so i either go sit on our rooftop to get some sun or go shopping...i figure inspiration will somehow come with some free time. :)

Unknown said...

It's a strange thing but sometimes not working every day I'll get more work done in a week than if I worked everyday unmotivated. Glad I'm not alone :)