Thursday, July 21, 2011

A perfect afternoon for baking bread...

I love rainy days. It's so cozy and moody. I've gotten countless things done too! So thank goodness for bad weather. (It's really hard to concentrate when it's sunny, don't you think so?)

It was also laundry day today (exciting, not). Americans find this funny... how Swedes do laundry. Allow me to explain. An entire apartment building has one laundry room which you have to book ahead of time, sometimes weeks ahead if it is a large complex. We're lucky and can book the day before usually. Only one family can use the laundry room at a time. The machines are different too. Such as the washing machines don't have the last crazy spin cycle to get all the excess water out (what's that called?) you have to take out your sopping wet clothes and put it into a special machine that does the spinning. (Crazy I know? Ancient too) Also there are drying rooms. An empty room with lots of clothes lines and a fan where you dry your clothes. Also a bit strange, and smart too I suppose. A serious luxury to have your own washer and dryer, and dish washer too. (Man I wish we had a dish washer!)

I also baked Olive bread!

DSC_0760
The Swedish bio dynamic organic mill company Saltå Kvarn has the best packaging and wonderful products worth their slightly higher price.

DSC_0763
They are so retro and colorful, I only want my shelves filled with their bags, tins, and bottles. They even have their own store in Stockholm. Visit it here... 

DSC_0762
I also bought solid honey and Old English orange marmelad, because nothing is yummier on freshly baked bread, except butter perhaps...

DSC_0767
Baking after Marin Johansson's recipes of course. He is the best!
And the recipe you ask?!:

For one loaf: (I did a double batch)

10g fresh yeast
6-9g salt
300g cold water
15g olive oil
330g white bread flour
30g whole grain wheat flour
200g kalamata olives pitted and halfed

Mix together for about 30 seconds and then follow my picture directions...

DSC_0768
What would I do with out my trusty scale, salt and some extra virgin olive oil?

DSC_0766
30 seconds of stirring together. I use a chop stick, boyfriend finds this hilarious for some reason. Let sit for 30 minutes.

DSC_0770
OH! Lunch break as I have to wait 30 minutes for the dough to work.

DSC_0771
Delicious Thai leftovers from last night cooked from recipes found in this wonderful little book.

DSC_0772
After 30 minutes with wet fingers one pulls up and folds to the center all sides of the dough. One does this 3 times with 30 minute intervals. After the 3rd time you wait an hour.

DSC_0774
You can cover it with a pretty kitchen towel if you like.

DSC_0775
Ours was a house warming gift. A classic Swedish company called Almedahls. They have gorgeous textiles. (Oh and look my toe is trying to peek in, hehe)

DSC_0776
All done! After the last hour, it's risen to double size.

DSC_0777
You can check if it is done by poking it. If the hole stays it's done, otherwise let it rise a little longer.

DSC_0778
Formed into two loafs and sprinkled with wheat flour. Turn your oven on and allow the dough to rise for another half hour to an hour. I know, I know, so much waiting, but it is worth it!

DSC_0780
Once the oven is really hot and the bread is ready to be baked... I cut slits into the top to make it look pretty and spray with water to get a nice chewy crust. Baked for about 20-25 minutes till golden at 250 degrees celsius.

DSC_0781
They turned out pretty flat... almost like a focaccia, which is nice of course for sandwiches.
Tonight we'll have yummy sandwiches for dinner, for sure.




1 comment:

Beth said...

I had no idea that's how laundry was done over there! The bread looks amazing : )