Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Ballerina

This week's Blogger What's in my Bag is getting replaced with something a little more personal, in the form of a What's in my Ballet Bag.

I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I studied ballet nearly all my life, about 20 years. I think I'd even still describe myself as a ballerina even though it's been a few years since I stopped dancing. I started taking lessons at a very very young age, maybe 3. At age 7 the ballet classes moved from being just play time to something more serious. I then started Pointe at the age of 11 and continued on rather seriously until the age of 17 when I moved to Florida. I continued to dance in Florida and at college as well though not at the same level as in Maine (I went to a really really lovely school there, and performed in lots of shows such as The Nutcracker; miss it horribly). I even took a few classes here in Stockholm, but have since chosen to work out at the gym instead. Ballet is just too expensive, and tough on my 'old' body. I never danced professionally but I'd say I was rather good (had nice technique at least.) I think the ballet sensibility will stay with me for the rest of my life. Probably the daintiest gym goer ever, haha!

Since ballet was such a huge part of my childhood (and adulthood) I think it's a bit strange that this is my first ballet inspired illustration. What is the deal?! I think I need to do a whole collection of ballet illustrations. That would be pretty wouldn't it?

p.s. I can also say it took many many many years for my feet/toes to recover from the abuse of hard pointe shoe wearing. My feet have thanked me.


No comments: